As with any company that had existed for 150 years D Napier & Son grew from humble beginnings and developed into a large organisation with production, test and repair facilities in multiple locations,

Upon moving to London in 1808 David Napier started work within the advanced engineering workshops run by Henry Maudslay.  By 1815 he was occupied as a Work’s foreman near Fleet Street.  In 1817 he was the engineering partner in a stationer’s business known as Messrs Baisler & Napier Engineers located in Lloyds Court, Soho.  It was not until he terminated the partnership and becoming self employed that David first owned his own factory.  This took the form of a larger workshop at 15 Lloyds Court, Crown Street in Soho.  By 1968 D Napier & Son Ltd had grown to include a four acre site in Acton, West London, a large production facility in Liverpool, flight development at Luton airport, and a handful of smaller specialist sites around the London area.

The sites are summarised below as each site was established however we recommend you follow the link below to read about David Napier’s first workshop in Soho, London.

1817      Soho Works, London
1832      Lambeth Works, London
1903     Acton, West London
1904     The Napier Company of America
1938     Park Royal Works  –  Engine test houses
1938     Aldenham (former London Underground train shed)  –  Open air ‘propeller stand’ engine test
1938     Luton Airport  –  DNS Flight Development Establishment
1939     Earls Court Arena  –  Wartime engine overhaul and engine rebuild
1939     East Lancashire Road Works, Liverpool  –   Large Wartime shadow factory
1947     Napier Research Station
1947     Raynes Park  –  Ex-British Salmson premises

Return to About DNS